We will publish information here about local shops, cafes, pubs and how to get food delivered to your accommodation. Details of crockery, kitchens and utensils are detailed in the accommodation page so that you can self-cater at any time you wish.
There is a cash point in both the SU building and the Harrington Building.
The two nearest pharmacies are listed below
33 Ashton St, Preston, Lancashire PR2 2PP – which is an 8 minute walk from the SU or a 9 minute walk from the accommodation area.
There's also a Superdrug in the shopping centre at Fishergate – which is a 10-12 minute walk.
The bar in the SU will be open for our exclusive use for these times below – and bar food will be served until 9pm. You can see the menu here – http://www.uclansu.co.uk/sourcefood
Thursday 3pm – 11pm,
Friday 3pm – 11pm,
Saturday 3pm – 2am.
There is a cafe in the SU building which serves sandwiches and paninis – opening times will be:
Thursday 2pm – 5pm,
Friday, Saturday and Sunday 8am – 3pm
The Student Union building has a shop inside it – with food, bathroom products etc, and this is fully wheelchair accessible with wide aisles.
There is also a newsagent slightly closer to the accommodation on Fylde Road – but this has a 2-3" step at the entrance, and a Subway sandwich shop is on Fylde Road – between the SU and Accommodation.
There is also a Tesco Express on Friargate.
- The Ferret – Just across from the SU building 'The Ferrett' Pub offers slow-cooked meat dishes (and some veggie too). Menu
- The Guild – This chain pub is nearer to the accommodation – menu here – this pub may not be wheelchair accessible.
Friargate area – if you cross over the large roundabout near the SU venue, you will find Friargate – home to many pubs and shops. This is about a 15 minute walk from the SU.
- There is a Wetherspoons here called "The Greyfriar" which is fully wheelchair accessible.
ORDERING FOOD TO YOUR ACCOMMODATION
You can get a food delivery order from many supermarkets to your accommodation – as soon as you know your flat number. You just need to be in to receive and sign for your order when it arrives – as the accommodation staff and Bicon volunteers/attendees are unable to do this for you.
The address will be
(Your Flat Details)
Preston, PR1 7EA
ORDERING TAKEAWAY/RESTAURANTS TO VISIT
VEGGIE/VEGAN FOOD RESTAURANTS
- BEAUTIFUL PLANET – on Friargate. Not open weekends so Thu or Fri only. Beautiful Planet Facebook page
- RK SWEETS – Indian food on Plungington Rd – maximum of 10 minutes walk from the accommodation. This is a fully accessible restaurant http://www.rksweets.com
- DUK POND – Tapas restaurant – About 20 minutes walk from the accommodation so quite far out. Fully accessible. http://www.dukpond.co.uk/
- King Karai which is about one mile from the accommodation (not accessible, and not towards the centre of town). They offer take away and free delivery on orders over £20, within a two mile radius: King Karai Website or phone: 01772 736838
- Spice of Bengal – Another restaurant that offers take away and delivery. It's on Friargate, opposite the Tesco. Featured on Just Eat, and has its own website; alternatively, phone 01772 885588
- Indian Express – this one is a delivery only place. They also trade as Pizza Planet out of the same building (which also sells chicken, burgers and burritos so it's a good 'catch all' for a group). Will deliver alcohol when ordered with food. Featured on Just Eat, and has its own website. To view the menu, enter the postcode PR1 7EA. You can also call: 01772 824212
ITALIAN FOOD / PIZZA
- Dominos – 01772 726700
- Pizza Hut – 01772 378787
- Papa Johns – 01772 750909
- Giacomo's Pizza Spaghetti House – delivery or collection. It's about half a mile from the accommodation. Featured on Just Eat and have their own website, or you can call: 01772 252583
- Pizza Express – this is about 15-20 mins walk / 5 mins by taxi, and is in the centre of town. It's not wheelchair accessible, unfortunately, and can get very busy at weekends.
- The Olive Press – about 15-20 mins walk / 5 mins by taxi. Pre booking recommended. Accessibility being checked. Their website is www.olivepresspizzeria.co.uk and their phone number is 01772 886363.
- Bamboo – less than half a mile from the accommodation; free delivery on orders over £14. Featured on Just Eat. Own website is www.bamboo-preston.co.uk and phone 01772 252138
- Buffet @ Preston – this one is a little bit further on from Tesco. They offer a takeaway service, but not delivery. We're awaiting a response from them as to whether they are accessible. www.buffetpreston.co.uk / 01772 555202
Chinese Buffet – it's a restaurant only, so no take-away. Located over the road from Greyfriars Pub (Wetherspoons), about 15 mins walk from the accommodation. Wheelchair accessible. Chinese Buffet Website / 01772 883088
- A team member says: "I would walk the couple of extra minutes and choose this one over Buffet @ Preston, but that's just my personal opinion!"
CHICKEN / BURGERS / OTHER
Dexters Chicken and Pizza – take away and delivery. Featured on Just Eat. Website: www.dexterschickenandpizza-
preston.co.ukPhone: 01772 437762 / 01772 378661
Thai Royal – located close to Tesco. Might be better to get take out, as delivery can be a bit hit-and-miss in terms of timing. Featured on Just Eat. Facebook: www.facebook.com/
ThaiRoyalNoodleBarPhone: 01772 558196
- Dexters Chicken and Pizza – take away and delivery. Featured on Just Eat. Website: www.dexterschickenandpizza-